Thursday, September 26, 2013

Learning the difference between foods

The past few days I have been making a lot of cookies and brownies. My kids have enjoyed licking the batter off of the spoon. My Abby especially liked the brownie batter. She kept sneaking tastes out of the bowl. Unfortunately she is still too young to differentiate between  visually similar substances. This recently got her in trouble. She saw a baking pan with a brown, thick liquid at the bottom. Thinking she was sneaky, she stood on her tip toes and dipped her finger into the gooey mess. I see her out of the corner of my eye and turn towards her, but the words come out of my mouth too late. Seeing she's been caught she quickly sticks her fingers in her mouth and eats the presumably sweet batter.
It was not batter.
It was in fact the grease dripping from that night's steak dinner. Congealed on the aluminum foil, I had left it to thicken for easier clean up.
Abigail is now more cautious about putting random food in her mouth. Unfortunately, she sometimes develops a taste for strange things. All day long I have been taking birthday candles out if her mouth. Halfway chewed, pieces stuck in her teeth, she has gone through 5 so far. Why she prefers candles to lunch today is beyond my comprehension, but  she is determined. I'll tell you what, though. She makes diaper changes interesting. Ya never know what you're going to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment